Passport Renewals

The State Department makes it easy for travelers to renew their passports if they can answer “yes” to a few questions:

  • Are you able to submit your most recent U.S. passport book and/or U.S. passport card with a renewal application?
  • You were at least 16 years old when your most recent U.S. passport book and/or U.S. passport card was issued.
  • You were issued your most recent passport book and/or card less than 15 years ago.
  • Your passport book and/or card that you are renewing has not been mutilated, damaged, lost, stolen or subsequently found.
  • Your U.S. passport has not been limited from the normal ten year validity period due to damage/mutilation, multiple passport thefts/losses, or non-compliance with 22 C.F.R. 51.41. (Please refer to the back pages of your passport book for endorsement information.)
  • You use the same name as on your most recent passport book and/or passport card or you have had your named changed by marriage or court order and can submit proper certified documentation to reflect the name change.

If you answered YES to all of these questions, save yourself the $35 execution fee, and fill out Form DS-82, the passport renewal form and send it to the Department of State yourself. If you have any questions about the form, we will gladly be able to help you.

If you answered NO to any of these questions, you will need to apply for a passport as if it is a new one. See the Passport Page for more information on that process.